In the meantime, enjoy the responses I have made to other prompts.

Friday, February 10, 2017

An entry for Susanna Leonard Hill's Second Annual Valentiny Writing Contest

Susanna Leonard Hill (see link below) is an author who offers encouragement and opportunities for wannabe children's authors like myself. In this particular contest the requirements are:

  • Write a Valentine's story or poem
  • For children (aged 12 and under)
  • 214 words or less (this is exactly 214 words excluding the title)
  • In which someone is confused.

Here is my entry (which earned me a tie for seventh place!):



Sebastian, Say Something

Nell held in her hands three Valentine’s cards
She made in her class during Art.
Miss Polly, her teacher, had helped her to trace,
Then carefully cut out each heart.

Nell glued them on paper she’d folded in half.
Miss Polly had said they looked good.
She wrote on each inside, “I love you so much!”
As well as an eight-year old could.

But now as she held them, while perched on the bed
She slept in the end of each week,
Nell said to Sebastian, her step-mother’s cat,
“Sebastian, I wish you could speak!”

“I know I have known you for only two years.
And clearly, at first I was mad.
I wanted my parents to stay as they were,
But your mommy married my dad.

“I hated to come here; I hated you all.
Leaving my mother was hard,
But your mommy, Susan’s, been ever so nice.
Now, I want to give her this card.

“Sebastian, the problem’s my mother still cries.
I’m worried what harm I might do
By giving to Susan this Valentine’s card
And telling her I love her too.

“So, give me some signal, a simple meow
Or purr to convince me I’m right,
But hurry Sebastian; she’s coming in soon
To hug me and kiss me goodnight!”

28 comments:

  1. Nice job, and a heartfelt topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Tough to communicate in 214 words, but it looks like you understood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A topic that is sure to touch everyone's hearts. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A topic that is sure to touch everyone's hearts. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful story told well in rhyme. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Moving story and sweet (and realistic) that she tells the cat her feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Sebastian gave her the signal. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't stick around to find out. lol. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew, an intense, emotional journey for Nell. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my. Tough subject well done.
    I wish you well with this story.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colleen, I totally relate to your MC in this touching story. You showed the confusion of being expected to love a new family after a divorce with bravato and care. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that Nell had a cat to counsel and console her. A tender tale indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Touching story. A big subject for little space. Well done! Divorce can be so difficult and confusing for children. Glad to read she´s accepted the change and loves her step-mummy too. Love Nell´s therapeutic relationship with Sebastian.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Touching story. A big subject for little space. Well done! Divorce can be so difficult and confusing for children. Glad to read she´s accepted the change and loves her step-mummy too. Love Nell´s therapeutic relationship with Sebastian.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was a bit difficult getting the whole story in in 214 words, but I'm glad the message was communicated! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was so sincere, just the way a child might think. I love how the mc discusses the dilemma with the cat. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you! I was hoping it was believable.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, Colleen. What a beautiful job you did conveying the true confusion a child might feel when faced with loving someone that feels like a betrayal to loving someone else - and a situation which an unfortunate number of kids have to deal with. Thank you so much for your heartfelt entry!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for the inspiration and the contest. I was glad I could communicate the story in the requisite 214 words. I do not envy your job of having to judge all the entries. :-)

    Thank you for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete