In the meantime, enjoy the responses I have made to other prompts.

Saturday, April 28, 2018

No Water River Prompt 4/28

A Simple Gift’s Meaning

From my void of early memories Effie Bender pushes through
daily donning her white bonnet and a dress some shade of blue.
Just how long our friendship lasted, recollection won’t attest,
but I know our dispositions made us standout from the rest.
Past the clothing and the bonding, there’s the gift her grandma made –
the only present I remember offered me in any grade.
She gave to me a velvet teddy, brown, with paws and ears of white,
dressed up with a satin ribbon, hand-sized width and crayon height.
A rare display of affirmation, one I still have sensing of.
At sixty, as I try to grasp,
I think the bear,
to me,
meant love.


Colleen Murphy
© 2018



http://www.nowaterriver.com/community-collection-29-making-things-with-amy-ludwig-vanderwater/


No comments:

Post a Comment