In the meantime, enjoy the responses I have made to other prompts.

Sunday, October 29, 2017

https://susannahill.com/2017/10/27/the-7th-annual-halloweensie-contest-aahhhrrrooooooooo/

Me and My Shadow
  
Monster’s shadow said to him, “You never let us be
what I want for Halloween. You always pick for me!”

“Well, either I choose this year or Monster you should know –
when it comes to Trick-or-treat I will refuse to go!”

“But you are just my shadow; you have to go my way!”

“Not this time,” said the shadow. “Believe me when I say.
We either dress as candy corn, and not some frightful ghost.  
Or you and I will stay at home the day you love the most.”

Then Monster yielded since he knew
A candy corn could still yell, “Boo!”




This is an entry for Susanna Leonard Hill's "7th Annual Halloweensie Contest." The rules were to write a story for children (aged 12 and under) using the words candy corn, monster and shadow. We were limited to 100 words, but (thank goodness) candy corn counted as one word. 


18 comments:

  1. So nice to let the shadow win for a change! Nice monster. Great story and fun rhyme! Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jilanne! I will check out your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute story! I love that Monster and Shadow worked it out and still enjoyed Halloween. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I will check out your story too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Charlotte! I will try to find yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A booing candy corn is still delicious. =) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really cute. Wish you had more space to show us how shadow could accomplish his threat. Maybe expandable into a PB? Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness he wasn't tested! Thanks for stopping by.!

      Delete
  8. Way to go Shadow in sticking up to do what he wants to do for a change. Would love to see this fleshed out more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are the second one who mentioned that. I will see if I can do that! Thanks for stopping by!

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a clever idea! I never really thought about a shadow having no say in its Halloween costume--very original. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. enjoyed this read! creative and sweet
    best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So funny and clever, Colleen! Love that the shadow turns bossy and gets his way! Nice job! Thanks so much for joining in the Halloweensie fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Susanna! And thank you for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete