In the meantime, enjoy the responses I have made to other prompts.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Inspired by: http://sundayscribblings.blogspot.com/

This is a little off course for the purported purpose of this blog, but I promise there will be rhyme within.  I don't know how far this will go.  The prompt was "woods" and this is what happened when I wandered into them...





Day 10

I knew I only had three days left before we headed home, and as of yet, I’d had no luck.  Although I’d been in the woods some part of nearly every day of this vacation (except for the one where Mom made me go to town with her and last Wednesday when it rained all day), I’d seen no evidence of the fairies.  I heard plenty of sounds, but nothing distinct. Even though I was convinced they existed, if I didn’t find something soon, I’d have to face Martha.  The last thing I wanted to do was tell her she’s right.

So today, I came up with a different plan.  I decided to go empty-handed into the woods, taking no food, no binoculars, no tape recorder, no journal, no nothing.  For three hours I planned to be as still as the stone I sat on, thinking maybe, just maybe those fairies would forget I was around.  Mom said I had to be home for lunch by noon because Aunt Tess was joining us, which meant there’d be no returning to the woods until tomorrow.  Once Aunt Tess comes, she never leaves, and I knew Mom expected me to help keep her company.  It was more than a one-person job.

After the first hour went by, I realized sitting still was a lot harder than I thought, but I did my best.  (My fourth grade teacher, Mrs. Magnum, would be impressed.)  When I first sat down, I listened carefully for any fairy whispers, but all I heard were the bullfrogs in the nearby pond.  The longer I waited, the more I thought I heard voices, but it definitely could have just been my imagination.  Then, just as I thought I was going to explode, I saw a small blue object fall from the tree a few feet in front of me.  I watched as it landed, sending a puff of leaves into the air.  At first I thought it might be a nut or a piece of fruit, but then I realized I’d never seen either with that bright of color.  Could it be?  I stood up, took a deep breath and as much as I wanted to run, forced myself to tiptoe over to the fallen object.  

to be continued as the day wears on...

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed it. If you want to have some fun, I just posted on my blog The Writing Mama a post about wacky and fractured poems. You can share one over there or maybe it might spark an idea for a poem post here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Virginia. I will take a look. There is more to this piece, but I just haven't gotten around to developing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your words convey a sense of magic and anticipation. I'm looking forward to what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading my entry. I can't wait to see what happens next either!

    ReplyDelete