In the meantime, enjoy the responses I have made to other prompts.

Friday, January 5, 2018

A Response to WDC Prompt

DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ!

I read so many romance books
I thought that I was ready
to find myself the perfect man
and ask him to go steady.

Their plots were so completely built
I really thought I knew
just how to find the perfect guy
and then, what we should do.

So early May I started out,
my books left on the shelf,
no formal plan; just these four words,
"Find soulmate for myself."

Although I half expected him
to just run into me,
I looked through all the parks and bars -
that's where they said he'd be.

I searched and searched for many months,
with no success it seems.
In time I thought I'd never find
the husband of my dreams.

And yes there were a couple men
I gave some second looks,
but they were nothing like the guys
who graced the romance books.

And too the music played at times -
the score not heaven-sent -
instead of a sweet symphony
I heard a sharp lament.

No fireworks went off for me;
no stars fell from the sky.
Each one of them turned out to be
some ordinary guy.

It seems the novels skipped a part,
the truth my journey showed:
the world, outside of romance books,
was filled with Av'rage Joe's.

In August when I quit the hunt
and emptied off my shelf,
A DUMMY'S GUIDE TO DATING was
the gift I gave myself.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment